Friday, January 20, 2006

Can you play poker for 24 hours?

So Sunday finally arrived and the camp was coming to a close, but first there would be some questions and answers and then a few more sit and go tournaments with the pros before we would all head our separate ways.

I played with a sit and go with Clonie Gowen, who is another pro who participated all weekend in the camp and was very cordial and gave good solid poker advice. I had a couple of powerhouse hands early but busted out early in the sit and go, which allowed me to sign up for one the last tourneys and our pro at the table was Howard Lederer.

While waiting for that game to start, I was able to get a few more pictures of the professionals there, including Kristy Gazes, who I did not get the chance to play a sit and go with but from what I overheard from her tables, was also quite instructive and nice.

Annie Duke was runnig off to check out from the hotel but I was able to tell her how much fun and instructive the experience was and to grab a quick picture with her.

Never got the chance to play poker with Annie, but from what I saw, she is very passionate about playing good poker and very approachable, as were all of the pros who were there.

Even Robert Williamson who was there briefly on Thursday night was someone who took a few minutes to go over Omaha strategy and the first thing he said to me was Hi I'm Robert, what's your name. I always think that is cool when anyone does that but more so when it is someone who is surrounded by about 200 plus people who know who he is and has watched him of TV, still is can make an effort to make you feel at ease.

As far as the last game with Howard Lederer, he did not criticize anything I did but I went out before the money. After that I said my goodbyes to some of the camp participants I had met as well as the pros and the people at the Palms who ran the event from their end.

After heading up the room for a quick break, I proceeded back to the Palms poker room where I proceeded to play Poker for the next 12 or so hours. While not as sucessful as the previous night, it was interesting to watch those players from the camp play in these games. However, since it was limit hold-em, the game was much different. And you have to be patient for a good hand and opportunities. One thing I did win was during the time I was there, the Palms had a promotion that anytime you hit a diamond flush, win or lose, you would get an entry into a drawing the next morning. They would draw ten names of players who hit a flush and award them $100.00. The last thing I did at the Palms on Monday morning was pick up my $100.00. A nice way to end my stay.

Tomorrow is back home to LA.

1 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, came here from The Delicious Life. I know these posts are almost a year old, but it was interesting to read. I always wondered if these poker camps were worth it. So, a year later... are you a much better player? I would think if you play mostly with your friends, many of these "rules" would go out the window, considering that they might not be following the same rules.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home